nntp/starttls possible?

From: Bruno Hertz
Subject: nntp/starttls possible?
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 17:05:02 +0200

Hi

I know this has been asked before, but still would like a confirmation
as of current state of things ...

Question is whether Gnus (currently from Emacs CVS, Gnus v5.11) supports
nntp starttls on port 119 as it e.g. does for smtp on port 25.

Reason I ask is that I'm currently setting up inn for secure usage with
Gnus and evaluating the options I have.

What I understand from the 'Direct Functions' info node, Gnus does actually
*not* support starttls, but rather only direct tls/ssl connections on port
563. Is that right?

Thanks, Bruno.