bitstream vera sans mono ugly in gnus

From: Peter Petersen
Subject: bitstream vera sans mono ugly in gnus
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:22:37 +0100

Hello,

I have been using Forte Agent for years in Linux thanks to Wine. I am
still not sure whether I'll stay with it or not, because it does
(nearly) all I want (and better than any other newsreader I found).

Yet I have been using gnus every now and then, too. It appears to be the
only newsreader available in Linux which comes close to the features I
like in Forte Agent (like "watch thread", "keep messages" etc.).

Anyway, it would make it that much easier for me to use gnus if I were
satisfied with the fonts when reading news.

So far, I used "customize" to set a default face of "monotype-courier
new" - it is important to me 1) to use a fixed width font and 2) one
that is not too small to read.

I don't like the look of "monotype-courier new" particularly well.
So I tried to use "bitstream vera sans mono", which is a wonderful fixed
width font and looks perfect in Forte Agent as well as in web browsers,
such as opera.

Now the problem in gnus is:
When setting nothing special (i.e. weight medium) that font doesn't look
right, its slant is inclined, oblique or something! (which is NOT so in
Agent or Opera!) I only get a normal slant when setting weight to
"bold". But then everything just looks "too thick" and it hurts my eyes
- ugly!

Does anyone have an idea why emacs doesn't display that nice font the
same way as other applications (opera, firefox, Wine based
applications...)?

Is there anyone who uses that font in emacs and who uses it as a
non-bold font?

What could I do to deal with this issue?

Many thanks
Peter