Re: Topic-wise subscription of new newsgroups

From: Tim McNamara
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 08:51:50 -0600

Stefan Kamphausen <skampi@gmx.de> writes:

> Dear Gnus,
>
> I'm trying to configure my gnus so that it will automatically
> subscribe a newsgroup created by a fancy nnmail split.
>
> I have a splitting rule like this:
>
> (setq nnmail-split-fancy
>    '(&
>     ;; some more here
>    (from ".* <?\\(.+\\)@office-address.example.*"  "mail.office.\\1")
>     ;;some more here
>    "mail.inbox"))
>
> As you can see I use multiple outputs so that I have an old-style
> inbox together with mailboxes for each of my colleagues.  This is
> working fine.
>
> However, whenever I receive an email of a new colleague (which has
> no group associated) I can only see the new group when I do a
> gnus-find-new-newsgroups manually.  But I'd like them so show up
> immediately.

I use this and can see the groups created for the split-out mail
immediately:

     (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)
        (setq nnmail-split-fancy
          '(| ("to" "internet-bob@bikelist\\.org" "iBOB")
              ("to" "rbw@bikelist\\.org" "Rivendell")
              ("to" "port-mac68k@netbsd\\.org" "NetBSD")
              ("to" "timmcn@bitstream\\.net" "Inbox")
               "mail.misc"))

One can of course split on the "from" header as well.  I wonder- do
you have the expression

     (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)

in your .gnus?  Perhaps you're getting an odd effect from missing
that?