Re: One more authinfo file posting

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: Re: One more authinfo file posting
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:37:05 +0100

Hi,

Reiner Steib <reinersteib+from-uce@imap.cc> writes:

first: thanks for the quick reply :-)

> On Wed, Feb 09 2005, Stefan Kamphausen wrote:
>
>> The problem is -once again- that the authinfo file defined in my
>> nnimap settings won't be read.  I've tried (probably) all combinations
>> of:
>> - the name of the IMAP server (IP, FQDN, short name)
>> - the port (143, imap, 993, none at all)
>> and the matching settings in my .authinfo file ([1]).
>
> It's hard to guess if you omit the most important part, the content of
> the authinfo file (~/.imap-othermailbox).  Be sure to erase any
> passwords.

well, I thought I made it clear, that I don't have /one/ file but a
plethora of combinations.

Currently I got in my ~/.authinfo:

machine news.newsserver.example login kamphausen password xxxxx force yes
machine mailserver login "windomain/skamphausen/othermailbox" password "xxxxx"

and in my ~/.imap-othermailbox I got one line for each the IP and the
FQDN of "mailserver" and one for just "mailserver" that look just like
the second line in ~/.authinfo otherwise.

>> I would really like to see some messages in the *nnimap-debug* buffer,
>> telling me for what it was looking in which file and what it found and
>> why it chose not to use such a line.
>
> As a quick check, use the following patch:
> [snip]

OK, the patch reveiled that the file that is actually read is
~/.authinfo and not the ~/.imap-othermailbox:

Parsing authinfo file `~/.authinfo'

Nevertheless, I can't see why it doesn't accept the line in there.
Maybe I'll spent another hour doing more experiments with it ;-)

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but considering the amount of postings
dealing with this problem, shouldn't there be some messages as to what
lines are examined and why they are rejected in the message-log?  The
messages could be turned off with a nnimap-i-know-my-authinfo-dealings
variable ;-)

Thanks and Regards
Stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)