Re: Can't get expiry to work

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: Can't get expiry to work
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 11:53:03 +0100

On 15 jan 2005, David Sumbler wrote:

> Now that I use Gnus, I have put
>
> ((total-expire . t)
> (expiry-wait . 31))
>
> Have I misunderstood something? I expected any mails with a
> date more than a month ago, and certainly any that I
> specifically marked with an "E", to be deleted. Or does it work
> from the date they arrived in the folder, which I only created
> a few days ago?

My understanding is that, Gnus only expires articles he knows of.
That is to say, only articles processed more than 31 days ago by
Gnus will be expired (I may be wrong). Internally, Gnus holds
data coupled by a timestamp which in turn may be used for
expiring (Try 'G p' on the group buffer and you will see whqat I
am saying).

> Incidentally, is there a way of getting Gnus to mark all
> incoming mails to this folder as read?

None I know, but you can catch-up the group by saying c in the
group buffer with the point over the group.
--
No e-patents, pas de brevets logiciels
Pétition contre les brevets logiciels : http://petition.eurolinux.org