Re: Checking mail

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Checking mail
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:53:47 +0000

I wrote:

> I still have the problem that when I start Gnus (or press 'g' in the
> Group buffer), it does not get new mail, although it gets new news
> and new archived messages.
>
> All of my mail and news groups currently have level 3, except for a
> couple of mailboxes which I have set to level 1 and 2.
>
> If I give a prefix to 'g' (e.g. 'C-u 5 g') then it updates the mail
> OK.

I have now discovered that nnfolder-get-new-mail is nil, although the
manual says that the default is t.  I imagine that this is the cause
of the odd behaviour.

"No problem", thought I, and I added the line
(setq nnfolder-get-new-mail t)
to my .gnus file.

But it didn't work: I find that after I start Gnus,
nnfolder-get-new-mail is still nil, although the Gnus file _is_ being
read.

If I then do (setq nnfolder-get-new-mail t) in the *scratch* buffer,
then nnfolder-get-new-mail correctly shows up as t, but if I exit from
Gnus, then nnfolder-get-new-mail is again nil!  Let me repeat that,
because I think it's weird: exiting Gnus changes the value of
nnfolder-get-new-mail from t to nil.

I don't understand why this is, and therefore I can't get round the
problem.  But I dare say some of you experienced (Gn)users will be
able to give me a possible explanation.  At least, I hope so!

David