Re: How do you say "gnus"?

From: jmfbahciv
Subject: Re: How do you say "gnus"?
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 05 13:52:57 GMT

In article <opsj04dgdrzgicya@hyrrokkin>,
   "Tom Linden" <tom@kednos.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:51:54 -0700, Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn@garlic.com>

>wrote:
>
>> gnosis was/is "great new operating system in the sky"
>> (capability-based operating system) done by tymshare in the late 70s
>> and early 80s ... before M/D bought them and spun-off tymnet to
>> british telecom and gnosis to a startup called key logic and renamed
>> keykos. in that time-frame, i tended to have regularly monthly
>> meetings with some of the tymshare people (in part because they had a
>> vm/370-based time-sharing service) ... and was brought in by M/D to do
>> gnosis technical audit for the spin-off.
>> keykos/gnosis somewhat was reborn as eros on intel architecture
>> ... and is being touted as operating system designed to get an CC/EAL7
>> evaluation:
>> http://www.eros-os.org/
>> and keykos
>> http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~KeyKOS/
>
>Hmmm.  I always thought Gnosis came from the greek.  As you may recall,
>I acquired the rights to this from Gene Amdahl some 10 years ago, and we
>may
>yet launch it.  Maybe we should do it as community effort:-)

Heh, how good are you at herding cats?  I see a lot of gamers
who are screaming from boredom.  The best computer game in
the world is an operating system.

>There was a similar effort at the Univ of Dresden by Jochen Liedtke, now
>deceased called the L4 microkernel.  IBM hired him, I guess to do these
>sort of things, but unfortunately he died a couple of years into the
>project.

And another project that was never finished was XKL support
in TOPS-10.

Thanks to Lynn's post, I now have that ga-new song running through
my head.  I've always pronounced the word ga-new because
of the song.

What's worse is that I have song in my head but my recall is
so bad I can only remember one word of all the lyrics.  Ga-new
is the best pronunciation because it eliminates a whole bunch
of potential messes with inambiguity.  There are too many "new"s
in the computer biz.  New, nu, news (as in newsgroups).

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.