Fetching mail uses too much memory

From: Glenn Ammons
Subject: Fetching mail uses too much memory
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 11:26:25 -0600

I returned from vacation a couple of days ago and found that I
received a lot of email in my absence.  When I try to fetch this mail
with Gnus, Gnus consumes more and more memory until it is slowed so
much by the constant swapping that the IMAP server gives up and closes
the connection.  If I kill Gnus and try again, Gnus starts all over
from the beginning and again runs out of memory.

I am using Gnus version 10.5.6 with XEmacs 21.4 (patch 14).  The
machine is a Sparc running SunOS 5.8 with 128MB of real memory (sorry,
I can't add more).

I probably have Gnus configured stupidly but I don't know how to
configure it well (I didn't find anything that looked relevant in the
Info).  Here is what I have now:

    (setq nnmail-spool-file nil)
    (setq imap-ssl-program
          '("/s/openssl/bin/openssl s_client -ssl3 -connect %s:%p"))
    (setq mail-sources '((file)
                         (imap :server "imap.cs.wisc.edu"
                               :stream ssl)))
    (setq gnus-treat-display-smileys nil)
    (setq gnus-auto-select-next 'slightly-quietly)
    (setq nnmail-crosspost nil)
    (setq nnmail-crosspost-link-function
          'copy-file)
    (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
          '((nnml "private")))
    (defun is-missing-spam-tags (group)
      (save-excursion
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (not (search-forward "X-Spam" nil t))))
    (setq my-nnmail-split-methods
        '(<79 (group, regexp) pairs for mailing lists, etc.>
          ("mail.missed-spam-filter" is-missing-spam-tags)
          ("mail.misc" "")))
    (setq nnmail-split-methods my-nnmail-split-methods)
    (setq nnml-directory "~/NNML")
    (setq nnmail-use-long-file-names t)
    (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "private"))
    (setq gnus-message-archive-group "mail.outbox")

Thanks in advance.
--glenn