Re: XEmacs, Gnus and mm-coding-system-priorities.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: XEmacs, Gnus and mm-coding-system-priorities.
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:21:22 +0900

    >> If your patch is more than a "tiny change" (approximately 15
    >> line of new code, IIRC), we need a copyright assignment.

    Aidan> If I declare the code public domain, would that be
    Aidan> sufficient to have it go in? I’d prefer to have it public
    Aidan> domain to having it GPLed, but if assignment and GPL’ing
    Aidan> are a necessity, then I can do that.

Publish it now under a permissive license, then assign it to the FSF.
There's nothing they can do to revoke the existing license.

Note that declaring it public domain has no advantages over a
permissive license, except to make it easier for Chaotic Evil Monsters
(think "SCO") to give you an invitation to court that you can't
refuse, or to abuse your good name to advertise their products.