Re: duplicated mail

From: Kamen TOMOV
Subject: Re: duplicated mail
Date: 20 Nov 2004 13:20:24 +0200

On Fri, Nov 19 2004, Cristian Gutierrez wrote:

> Hoy en la ma~nana, bzg@altern.org dijo:

> >> Thanks. I guess that will work with the new mail that would
> >> arrive. What about my current mail?
> >
> > What was the former value of `nnmail-treat-duplicates' ?  Default
> > value is 'warn and it inserts an extra-header in your mail.
> >
> > Go in your group, select duplicates with / x [the extra header]
> > and delete them manually.
>
> Nice to know this. If of any use, you can try opening your
> mailbox/folder with (heresy! :-) Mutt and delete duplicates with
> D~=<ENTER> (<ENTER> is RET) and then $ to sync back.
>
> I don't know if that causes any problem with Gnus (not so far in my
> case, but then I use nnimap), but I would at least close the mailbox
> in Gnus before opening it with Mutt.

Thanks for your help!

By the way the previous value of this field was 'warn. I tried to
select these messages with / x but since I've never used that feature
I couldn't make it work. It was saying something like "no such
header". So I went in my Mail directory and deleted all duplicated
messages manually with the command:

find . -exec grep "duplicated (or whatever)" {} \; |xargs rm

Then I deleted all .overview files and my work was back to normal.

I couldn't use (and I didn't want) any other mail clients to do the
job because I am using nnmail back-end which AFAK does not work with
Mutt.

Regards,
--
Kamen TOMOV