Problems with nntp.dsl.pipex.net

From: Chris Parsons
Subject: Problems with nntp.dsl.pipex.net
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:03:17 +0000

Hi everyone,

Just a heads up - I'm an NTEmacs 21.3 user who has recently switched to
CVS gnus and have been having some awful problems getting it to play
nicely with my local newsserver, nntp.dsl.pipex.net.

Firstly, I simply could not get it to correctly authenticate
automatically, even after trying every method know to ensure that it
passed in my login/password info.

Secondly, and much more importantly, emacs segfaulted 4 out
of 5 times after I attempted to enter a vaguely large group
(gnu.emacs.help, alt.coffee). Reading from nntp was also markedly
slower.

However, I have since switched to news-text.dsl.pipex.net, (which
doesn't require authenication either) and these problems have magically
gone away, thank God. So please don't waste two days like me trying to
get this server working well :)

Anyone else had similar problems with Gnus and rogue email servers?

Chris

--
Chris Parsons
chris.p@rsons.REMOVETHISPLEASE.org