spam, imap: false pos: use-BBDB-exclusive, use-stat,

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: spam, imap: false pos: use-BBDB-exclusive, use-stat,
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:18:31 +0200

Hello

No spam filter is installed on the imap server I am using so I have
set up the following.

(setq
                 nnimap-split-rule  'nnimap-split-fancy
                 nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX"
                 nnimap-split-fancy  '(|
                                                           (: spam-split)
                                                           "MAILBOX"))
 (setq spam-use-BBDB-exclusive  t)
 (setq spam-use-BBDB t)
this way MAILBOX contains all mail from BBDB people and SPAM all the
rest.

BTW the above setting is not equivalent to
 (setq
  nnimap-split-rule  'nnimap-split-fancy
  nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX"
  nnimap-split-fancy  '(|
                       (: spam-split 'spam-use-BBDB 'spam-use-BBDB-exclusive)
               "MAILBOX"))
Or the last line changed to
                       (: spam-split 'spam-use-BBDB-exclusive) "MAILBOX"))

which confuses me.

In any case, SPAM contains some false positive. So I thought of using
spam-stat to split the mail, instead in MAILBOX and SPAM, in MAILBOX
SPAM.REAL and SPAM.HAM.

Ted suggested the following setting;-COM-(setq
 nnimap-split-rule  'nnimap-split-fancy
 nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX"
 nnimap-split-fancy  '(|
(: spam-split 'spam-use-BBDB 'spam-use-stat "SPAM.REAL")
(: spam-split 'spam-use-BBDB-exclusive "SPAM.HAM")
                                           "MAILBOX"))

I tried to things, first since I did not want to download the message
bodies I tried:

-(spam-initialize)
(spam-stat-reset)                                               ;Reset:
(spam-stat-process-spam-directory
"/home/oub/News/agent/nnimap/ucmail.ucm.es/SPAM") ;Learn spam:
(spam-stat-process-non-spam-directory
"/home/oub/News/agent/nnimap/ucmail.ucm.es/MAILBOX") ;LEARN non-spam:
;;Repeat for any other non-spam group you need...
(spam-stat-reduce-size) ;Reduce table size:
(spam-stat-save)

This did not work, all mail entered then my MAILBOX.

I then set (setq    nnimap-split-download-body   t)
and
(spam-stat-process-spam-directory "/home/oub/Mail/stat/spam") ;Learn spam:
(spam-stat-process-non-spam-directory "/home/oub/Mail/stat/ham") ;LEARN
non-spam:

No change, all mails entered the MAILBOX group, so maybe spam-stat
does not work to well with imap.
Anybody has an idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer