Re: List Unsubscribed Groups Matching a Pattern

From: Joel Reicher
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:55:03 GMT

bazad <nobody@noreply.not> writes:

> My computer is not fast and execution of 'A A' command takes some
> time.  I'd like to execute something like 'A m' against unsubscribed
> groups.  Unfortunately, it seems that 'A m' command works with
> subscribed groups only.
>
> I also don't seem to get levels working.  '9 L' does not display any
> unsubscribed groups.

You should read the info page
(gnus) Listing Groups

It clearly says that `A A' reads the active file(s) of the server(s),
and so the slowness has nothing to do with your computer; you're
downloading what is probably a very large file when you do that.

`A m' and `A M' are the commands you're looking for, but they'll only
go through your own local `active file'. Many Gnus installations will
not save a complete local copy by default, to save space. You should
check the value of the gnus-save-killed-list variable to make sure
it's non-nil. You should also read the info page
(gnus) The Active File

To actually get the killed list into your .newsrc.eld, you'll probably
either have to manually kill the whole list of groups at least once
(which might also kill your subscribed groups if you're not careful),
or change the value of gnus-read-active-file to something other than
nil or `some', start gnus up, and then change the value back.

Cheers,

        - Joel