Re: Caching IMAP articles

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Caching IMAP articles
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:27:04 +0200

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> On 11 oct 2004, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> Edi Weitz <spamtrap@agharta.de> writes:
>>
>> > I'm reading mail on my laptop from a remote IMAP server. The
>> > remote server is at home on an ADSL line which is kind of
>> > slow upstream, and sometimes I'm even offline. So, I'm
>> > looking for a solution to keep my IMAP server but make mail
>> > reading faster if I'm not at home. I've used offlineimap[1]
>> > for a while but I didn't really like this setup.
>> >
>> > Now I thought that maybe this might be doable with Gnus
>> > alone. What I want is the following: Every IMAP message that
>> > I've read with Gnus should be stored locally. Whenever I try
>> > to read this message again, whether online or offline, Gnus
>> > should fetch it from the local storage and don't contact the
>> > IMAP server again.
>>
>> These are my agent configuration to achieve this:
>>
>> '(gnus-agent-consider-all-articles t)
>> '(gnus-agent-enable-expiration (quote DISABLE))
>
> Sorry to bother, but why do you disable agent expiration ?

Because disk is cheaper than bandwidth.  Also because with g-a-c-a-a
enabled, otherwise the agent would re-download articles every time,
and then expire them immediately, as well.

> I play a lot with gnus-cache-* and I think it collides with agent
> settings such a way that, when expired from the agent, agent
> still download things (read or not).

As far as I understand, that is how it is intended to work, but I
agree it is suboptimal.

> Why can't I expire articles in the agent without having it trying
> to download articles again and again... ?

Perhaps you could modify the agent predicate to not download articles
that would be expired.