Re: Couple of (configuration?) problems.

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Couple of (configuration?) problems.
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:02:39 -0500

Dirk Gerrits <dirk@dirkgerrits.com> writes:

> I've been having some problems with (No) Gnus and I was hoping you guys
> could help me out.  I apologize for my inferior searching skills if any
> of this has come up before, but I really couldn't find it.

<snip>

> 2.  My ISP and my university both provide me with newsgroups, but they
>      both restrict it to IP addresses on their network.  So with my
>      laptop plugged in back home, I can access news.chello.nl, but not
>      news.tue.nl, and plugged in at the university it's the other way
>      around.  Can I somehow configure Gnus for this situation?  I'd like
>      Gnus to try news.tue.nl first, and then fall-back to news.chello.nl.
>      And, ideally, I'd like it to have the same set of subscribed
>      newsgroup and read articles on both news servers.  Can Gnus do this?
>      Or do you know of something else I could do?

Yes, Gnus can do this, if you tell it to in your .gnus file.  From the
http://my.gnus.org Web site (under "Fundamental Configuration:"

Let's say your primary newsserver is foo.bar.com, your second one is
your local newsserver and the third one is news.gnus.org. Furthermore,
you want to read Mails from the POP3 server pop.provider.com and use
the nnml backend for this. (See section mail for further information.)

We tell Gnus all this with

     (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "foo.bar.com"))
     (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nntp "localhost"))
     (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nntp "news.gnus.org"))

     (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
     (setq mail-sources '((pop :server "pop.provider.org"
                               :user "you"
                               :password "secret")))

So, in your case, "news.tue.nl" would replace "foo.bar.com" and
"news.chello.nl" would replace "localhost" and you'd just leave the
next line off, unless you wanted to use "new.gnus.org" also.  If your
news servers need authentication, you can set up an .authinfo file
with the necessary information- this is discussed at my.gnus.org:

http://my.gnus.org/tutorial/Fundamental-Configuration.html#Fundamental%20Configuration

> 4.  When I send an e-mail, I regularly get an SMTP protocol error.
> I can fix it by going back to the *Group* buffer, pressing g, and
> then resending the e-mail.  I think the problem is that my SMTP
> server requires me to be logged in through IMAP.  Anyway, can Gnus
> somehow do this (re)connecting for me?

Do you get your mail from an IMAP server or a POP3 server?  Are you
using nnimap as your mail backend if it's an IMAP server?  I've never
done IMAP stuff, so I'm of no help there.  I should just be quiet on
this.