Re: Gathering certain emails from across groups in one; labels

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: Gathering certain emails from across groups in one; labels
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:11:49 +0200

On 27 Sep 2004 15:21:28 +0900, Alexandre wrote:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> If I could label email and have a special group display all the
>> emails with a given label, the problem would be solved.

> It is probably very simplistic but why don't you create a
> subdirectory such as ./Mail/keyword then save or copy the
> corresponding mail in this directory?

That would be efficient.

It does have some drawbacks:

 * Ticking/caching¹ will be separate for the original email and the
   copies in the label-groups

 * Marks of other kinds will be separate (the "A"nswered possibly
   being quite important to the user/me :-))

 * It is not easy to see what other labels the email you're reading
   has.

 * It is slightly more work to add an email to several labels (copy
   several times)

 * It is more work to change the labels under which an email is filed
   (instead of editing one email, I need to find all the copies and
    delete the ones that aren't relevant).

There are probably other things I haven't thought of (good and bad).

  Best regards,

    Adam

¹ I often abuse caching for adding emphasis to my normal ticking of an
  article, so "! Blah blah" is an email I need to handle at some
  point, while "!* Bleh bleh" is an email I need to handle soon.

--
 "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent          Adam Sjøgren
  life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none     asjo@koldfront.dk