How to use Maildir for everything? How to duplicate behaviour of mutt?

From: Juhapekka Tolvanen
Subject: How to use Maildir for everything? How to duplicate behaviour of mutt?
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:50:37 +0300

I have used Gnus as my Usenet News client many years. Now I'd like to
use it for E-Mail, too. Right now I use mutt as my E-Mail client, but I
don't want to totally leave mutt. Thefore I want both Gnus and mutt to
use same folders and INBOX.

I use Maildir-formatted mails spool and mail folders. Now I'd like to
use Maildir also for news.

First thing I need is this: When I hit "o" to save my News article, I
want to save it that article to ~/News so that each group has one
Maildir-folder. How that can be done? And how can I convert those News
articles I already have there to Maildir-format? According to
file-command they are in emacs RMAIL-format. I already have found
mbox-to-Maildir -converters, though.

Then, let's see, what kind of stuff I have in my ~/.muttrc :

set mbox_type=maildir

[All mail folders and mail spool use Maildir]

set spoolfile=/var/mail/${USER}/
mailboxes /var/mail/${USER}/

[My login is juhtolv . So my mail spool and INBOX is /var/mail/juhtolv/ .]

set folder=~/Maildir.save

[All mail folders are in ~/Maildir.save/]

set mbox=~/Maildir.save/read

[When I stop reading my INBOX, read mails are moved to
~/Maildir.save/read/ if I give permission.]

set postponed=~/Maildir.save/postponed

[When I leave text editor, and decide to postpone sending my E-Mail, it
is saved to ~/Maildir.save/postponed/ if don't give permission for
cancelling that E-Mail]

send-hook . "set record=~/Maildir.save/sent-mail-`date +%Y-%m`"
set record="=sent-mail-`date +%Y-%m`"

[When I send my E-Mail, a copy of it is saved to
~/Maildir.save/sent-mail-YYYY-MM where YYYY is substituted with number
of year and YY is substituted with number of month (leading zero included)]

set from="juhtolv@cc.jyu.fi"
set envelope_from=yes

[Each mail has envelope set to juhtolv@cc.jyu.fi]

my_hdr From: Juhapekka Tolvanen <juhtolv@cc.jyu.fi>
my_hdr Reply-To: Juhapekka Tolvanen <juhtolv@iki.fi>

[Those headers are added to each mail]

# Finlandization or Finlandisierung
# I am Finn. I live in Finland. I speak Finnish. Perkele!
# P.S: We use euro currency
#

[Commented lines]

# http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/fi.html
# http://www.funet.fi/resources/clickable-Suomi.html
# http://dmoz.org/Regional/Europe/Finland/
# http://www.helsinki.fi/~eisaksso/tarja.html
# http://www.godhatesfags.com/finland.html
# http://www.godhatesfags.com/finland.gif

[More commented lines]

set allow_8bit

[self-explaining]

set charset=iso-8859-15

[When mail is given to text editor, it is converted to iso-8859-15
character set. We could use utf-8, though]

set send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:iso-8859-15:utf-8"

[When sending ready-edited mail, we first try to convert it to us-ascii
character set, then to iso-8859-1 and so on until we succeed]

set edit_headers

[during editing I can edit all headers, too]

# reply_self
# Type: boolean
# Default: unset
# If unset and you are replying to a message sent by you, Mutt will assume that
# you want to reply to the recipients of that message rather than to
# yourself.
unset reply_self

[Some parts of the config are better commented]

ignore *

[First ignore all headers when reading some E-Mail]

unignore X-CRM114-Status: X-CRM114-Score: X-CRM114-Action: X-Reject:
[Then unignore some headers]

hdr_order X-CRM114-Status: X-CRM114-Score: X-CRM114-Action: X-Reject:
[Show those unignored headers in this order]

set attribution='On %(%a, %d %b %Y, +%T %Z (UTC %z)),\n%n <%a> pressed some
keys:\n'

[Self-explaining]

Rest of the file is for coloring of headers and elements seen in body.

Now, somebody please tell me, how to duplicate those setting in Gnus.

I have already created two lines to my ~/.gnus.el and they work as
expected:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnmaildir ""))

(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(maildir :path "/var/mail/juhtolv/" :subdirs ("cur"
"new") ) )

But I don't want it to delete mail from my INBOX when I stop reading
it. I want to copy each mail manually to right folder. Don't worry: I
have already set up my ~/.procmailrc so that most of E-Mails goes to
right folder and only some of them goes to INBOX.

I want to see each mail folder as one News group.

So, what should I do? I already have used many hours for reading all
kind of documentation from www.gnus.org and my.gnus.org.

BTW is Gnus the only emacs-based MUA Maildir-support?

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"halpojen hoitojen maailma uljas haluaa taistosi latistaa, mielesi