Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Fatal error (11). Emacs/ Linux hosed my very long document.
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:17:34 -0500

mikecoxlinux@yahoo.com (Mike Cox) writes:

> I recently switched to xemacs as my default word processor so I
> could do formatting in TEX for a very long document.  Most recently
> I've been using Microsoft Word, the latest version.  I switched
> because I thought that emacs had perfect stability and no crashes.
> My perception was formed due to the constant FSF/GPL/Linux advocacy
> promoted on slashdot and all the comp newsgroups.

As a couple of minor quibbles:

1.  XEmacs is not Emacs, and XEmacs is not GNU or FSF software.
    XEmacs and Emacs are not interchangeable.

2.  Nothing has perfect stability, everything else does not.

3.  As a result, saving frequently and backing up one's documents is
    always a good idea.

4.  Emacs by default creates backup documents, you'll find them in
    the same directory as the file you were working on with a tilde
    after the filename.  Hopefully XEmacs, which I've never used, does
    the same thing.

See:

http://www.xemacs.org/About/XEmacsVsGNUemacs.html

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html