Re: Lots of open() calls with nnmaildir

From: Cristian Gutierrez
Subject: Re: Lots of open() calls with nnmaildir
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:21:00 -0400

Jacob Bunk Nielsen wrote:
> Martin Geisler <mg@daimi.au.dk> writes:
>
>> Eventually I want to put a webmail interface ontop of the IMAP
>> server, so that I allways have access to my mail, even I'm away from
>> a decent computer with Gnus installed.
>
> I use SSH in such situations. If you already have a computer online
> (for running the IMAP server), why not just connect to that using SSH
> and fire up gnus on that? I do it all the time when I'm away from
> home.

It seems impractical if, like me, you leave your Gnus session open under
X. If I can get my hands on computer with an X server, I just ssh in to
my PC and instruct the running Emcacs+Gnus instance (via gnuclient) to
open a new window on the ssh-forwarded display. That way, I can even
access my open buffers (which includes IM client, rss reader, etc)
anywhere[1].

If there's no X server available at current location.. well, there's
always SSH+Mutt (I am scared of running two Gnus instances using the
same configurations and other files; please let me know if it's
unjustified), but this webmail idea seems better, for *some* scenarios
anyway (huge latency, ssh client crashes on local trash-puter, etc.).

[1] Yes, that means "not getting any work done anywhere" :-)

--
Cristian Gutierrez                      http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~crgutier
crgutier[@]dcc.uchile.cl                        Jabber:crgutier@jabber.org

I always like to think of FUD as Fucked Up Data, which is what MS shows
in their reports. Works well so far. -- The-Bus, /.