Re: Did you try Gnus and didn't like it?

From: pkd
Subject: Re: Did you try Gnus and didn't like it?
Date: 9 Sep 2004 11:23:16 GMT

On 07 Sep 2004, Richard E. Maine wrote:

> But since you ask, the single thing I dislike the most is the
> single-threaded nature of (x)emacs, combined with Gnus.  If my nntp
> connection is being slow for any reason, then I can't do anything else
> in (x)emacs while I'm waiting for it.  Since xemacs is what I use as
> my preferred editor, this tends to hit an awful lot of things that I
> might do while waiting.  Starting up a separate copy of xemacs can
> sometimes work, but invites lots of "issues".

(define-key gnus-group-mode-map "h" 'rem-gnus-sync)

(defun rem-gnus-sync ()
  (interactive)
  (shell-command ("xemacs -batch -l ~/.xemacs/init.el -l ~/.gnus.el -f
gnus-agent-batch &"))
  (delete-other-windows))

then you add your lagging server to gnus' agent.

> I switched to non-emacs-based email readers a year or so ago, which at
> least helps with that a little.

you can do email without having news interfering by playing with g/levels.

Crosspost & Followup-To: gnu.emacs.gnus

--
Einmal ist keinmal