Re: Gnus crawls when reading the active file for nntp

From: Tim Lavoie
Subject: Re: Gnus crawls when reading the active file for nntp
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 15:36:33 -0500

    Michael> I had the same symptoms, and I was able to fix it by
    Michael> clearing out my one of my "active" files, I think this
    Michael> one:

/home/mikesl/News/agent/nntp/news.comcast.giganews.com/agent.lib/active

    Michael> It was full of groups I never look at, and gnus was
    Michael> spending a ton of time trying to do some sort of
    Michael> computationally-expensive regex operation on the contents
    Michael> of the file.  I purged the file while maintaining the
    Michael> list structures within it --- basically turning the list
    Michael> of crap I never look at into an empty list.

    Michael> I'm sorry I can't remember more exactly which of the
    Michael> active files it was, but if you search your home
    Michael> directory for active files, look for the huge one.

    Michael> I thought I had caused this problem myself with errant
    Michael> keystrokes, but if other folks are experiencing it, it
    Michael> may be a gnus bug.

    Michael> I'm using gnus v5.10.6

Aha! I'll stick with using leafnode, but that does look like the
culprit. At roughly 59000 newsgroups, that active file is
uuuuugly. The leafnode NNTP proxy basically fetches just the groups I
browse, so the active file won't grow too large. The other advantage
though is that it does the downloading without me, rather than when
I'm waiting.  <grin>

Thanks for the info!

       Tim

--
The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I will
walk carefully.