nnir with multiple swish-e index files, elisp question

From: Tony Marlboro
Subject: nnir with multiple swish-e index files, elisp question
Date: 21 Aug 2004 14:22:21 -0700

Howdy,

I've hacked up Kai's nnir.el code to allow swish-e searches to use
multiple index files.  I personally find it much easier to maintain a
separate index for each nnml group than to keep one monster index up
to date.  nnir handles my 140 indices without any trouble.

I'd like to initialize the list of index files automatically when I
set up the gnus-secondary-select-methods in my .gnus.el file, in case
I create or destroy a mail group.  To this end I've got a function
that correctly locates all the index files in my mail filesystem and
puts their paths into a list.  The problem, though, is that I don't
understand elisp.  The code below won't work, as
nnir-swish-e-index-files never gets the data from
nnir-swish-e-index-files-list.  I presume this is because this
particular setq actually quotes the data being put into
gnus-secondary-select-methods.  Any clever ideas about how to get
around this?  Thanks in advance.

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
        (nnml "aos"
                   (directory "/home/tm/Mail/nnml/")
                   (get-new-mail t)
                   (nnir-search-engine swish-e)
                   (nnir-swish-e-index-files
nnir-swish-e-index-files-list)
                   (nnir-mail-backend (nth 0
gnus-secondary-select-methods))
                   )

BTW, the index files list is set up in my .emacs via

(setq nnir-swish-e-index-files-list (files-in-below-directory
"/home/tm/Mail/nnml"))

and files-in-below-directory is a hack of the function of same name in
the Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp.

Kai, I've tried to email you the nnir.el changes.  If you haven't
gotten the patch and would like it, please email me so I can know your
correct address.

I've also whipped up some perl code that interfaces with swish-e to
(a) stop trying to index "words" in binary MIME attachments, and (b)
extract text from ms-word and pdf attachments and index that.  Works
great!  Email me if you'd like a copy.

Best Regards,

Tony Marlboro