Re: rss feeds

From: Lars Chr. Hausmann
Subject: Re: rss feeds
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:48:03 +0200

>>>>> "Hubert" == Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> writes:

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Green <cmg@dok.org> writes:
 Hubert> [...]

 Chris> I've thought about using this:
 Chris> http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/rss2email/.

 Chris> I don't really like nnrss backend since it really just adds a lot
 Chris> more foreign servers that could make gnus take forever on
 Chris> startup.

 Hubert> You can also try nntp//rss: http://www.methodize.org/nntprss/
 Hubert> It basically runs an nntp server on your own machine, so
 Hubert> you'll have an extra foreign server, but it doesn't seem to
 Hubert> slow gnus startup time -- especially compared to the time
 Hubert> taken to fetch my email.

I've been running nntprss for my rss feeds for well over a year by
now, and I have been extremely happy using it. It practically sits on
the same machine as I run gnus on, so it does not slow down gnus. It's
excellent. Kudos to Jason Brome for it.

I found it way better than nnrss, since that hogged down gnus when I'd
had just a few rss feeds. It was also beginning to be painfully slow
when updating the group buffer (hitting g).

/LCH
--
"Historically speaking, the presence of wheels in Unix has never
precluded their reinvention." - Larry Wall