Re: Gnus-registry problems

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Gnus-registry problems
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:48:39 -0400

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, stm+direct_reply@bacchus.pvv.org wrote:

> This time I used "Ibsens ripsbusker" as subject:
>
> ozelot:~$ grep -i "ibsens ripsbusker" .gnus.registry.eld
> ozelot:~$
>
> Nothing at all!

You have to save the registry file ('s' in the group buffer will do
it, if your newsrc.eld needs to be saved - the registry is saved
whenever the newsrc.eld is saved).

> What if I restart Gnus? Ah, then there's something there:
>
> ozelot:~$ grep -i "ibsens ripsbusker" .gnus.registry.eld
> ("<fqg8ye5zcbu.fsf@ozelot.stud.ntnu.no>" ((process (ham spam-use-stat
>       "nnmaildir:mail.foo")) (mtime 16610 30770 60011) (subject . "Ibsens
>       ripsbusker")) "nnmaildir:mail.foo" "nnmaildir:mail.misc")
> ozelot:~$

Excellent.

>> and then do
>> t M-: (gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent) in the buffer of the
>> article (`t' will show the whole article).  With gnus-verbose set to
>> 10, I need to know what the Messages buffer says.
>
> OK, I went to the Article buffer of the message with an empty
> References header and did that. Here's what the Messages buffer said:

> gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent (extra tracking) traced subject Ibsens
>       ri\psbusker to group nnmaildir:mail.foo
> gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent: too many extra matches for nil
> nil
>
>> There are some reasons why the subject lookup will fail, chiefly
>> that the same subject may be in various groups (but there are
>> others, see the function gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent).  If
>> there's more than one match for a subject, the lookup is considered
>> a failure.  I thought about this, and it seems to be the best way to
>> handle multiple groups.  I'm open to suggestions if you think
>> otherwise.
>
> No, I agree with you. But in this case the Subject was unique.

In gnus-registry.el, change line 420-423 to look like this (line to be
added marked with +):

(unless (equal res (gnus-registry-fetch-group key))
  (setq single-match nil))
+(debug single-match subject this-subject res (gnus-registry-fetch-group key))
(setq res (gnus-registry-fetch-group key))

Then re-evaluate the gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent function,
and re-run it for the article in question.  If you get more than one
debug call, the article subject is in multiple groups somehow.  If
you get just one, there's a bug.

If you send me your registry file, I may be able to do more debugging
too.

> Another thing: Might it be an idea that the
> gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent function consider the
> In-Reply-To header if there is no References ?

We already do that in gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent:

(message-fetch-field "in-reply-to")

is it not working correctly?

Ted