Re: Leaving message on IMAP account

From: Marcus Frings
Subject: Re: Leaving message on IMAP account
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:39:57 +0200

* Bastien <Bastien@choum.fr> wrote:

> i setup an IMAP account in mail-sources like this :

> ,----
> | (setq mail-sources '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/me")
> |                  (imap :server "ser.ver"
> |                        :user "account"
> |                        :password "******"
> |                        :port "143")))
> `----

> All mails are retrieven from the server, but i don't know how to
> *leave* them on it (for access by another machine).  I read the
> manual, but can't find help on this - surely very common - topic.

You have chosen the wrong method. :-) What you have done is this:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Mail Source Specifiers") ]
| `imap'
|      Get mail from a IMAP server.  If you don't want to use IMAP as
|      intended, as a network mail reading protocol (ie with nnimap), for
|      some reason or other, Gnus let you treat it similar to a POP
|      server and fetches articles from a given IMAP mailbox.  *Note
|      IMAP::, for more information.
`----

But what you want is to configure IMAP as being explained here:

(info "(gnus)IMAP")

Just put your cursor next to the last bracket and then press C-x C-e.
This will directly take you to the info node in the Gnus manual.

Here is an example:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "your.server"
                (nnimap-address "your.server")
                (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
                (nnimap-stream ssl) ;; Leave out if you don't use IMAPS
                (nnimap-list-pattern "INBOX.*"))))

You can store User account and password in ~/.authinfo

> I also would like to store answers on the IMAP server : is it
> possible ?

Do you mean that you want to have a copy of your outgoing articles
stored on your IMAP server? Yes, this is also possible:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '(
        (if (message-news-p)
            "nnimap+your.server:INBOX.sent-news"
          "nnimap+your.server:INBOX.sent-mail")))

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Wir hatten einen Weg gefunden, wie wir uns keine Vorwürfe zu machen brauchten:
Wir zerhackten sie mit Maschinengewehren in zwei Hälften und legten ihnen dann