Re: Problem with Gnus & Leafnode

From: Ichimusai
Subject: Re: Problem with Gnus & Leafnode
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 23:22:26 +0200

Cor Gest <cor@clsnet.nl> writes:

> Someone referred to as: Ichimusai <ichi@ichimusai.org>
>  has comitted the herein quoted text :
>>  But when I try to select a group it says "Can't select group" and i
>> never see that dummy message that leafnode is supposed to create.
>>
>> If I try to post something first with Gnus then it seems to work,
>> and then the group can be accessed normally after the next
>> fetchnews.
>
> Leafnode functions as an batch-jobbed a-synchronious newsreader with a
> server-funtion. So any changes will become only effective after the
> next fetchnews-session and an file entry will be set in the directory
> "interesting-groups".

Sure, this is my procedure:

Gnus from the groups buffer A A to list all groups. Hit u on the
groups that I want. I can not select them, they contain 0 messages
says Gnus.

When I am done I press s to save and L for showing my subscribed
groups. Then I run sudo fetchnews and after that I press g in the
groups buffer.

In any groups that leafnode have pulled new articles they will show
up. But since I can not perform a select on my newly subscribed
groups, not even if I restart Gnus or my entire Emacs does this change
- it will never start pulling articles in those groups. They remain
impossible to select.

Mozilla Thunderbird can select, and when I do I get the dummy
placeholder article and at next fetchnews it pulls the articles fine,
after that Gnus works perfect too.

> Sometimes, the insertion of the groupname does fail for unknown
> causes (to me that is), so I touch the group-name-entry manually in
> the "interesting-groups" directory.

I shall try that then, what do you do, just a sudo touch
/var/spool/news/interesting.groups/* or something?

> But gnus also must reread the .newsrc.eld to access a new group.

Ok.

--
Ichimusai http://ichimusai.org/ AA #769 ICQ: 1645566 Yahoo: Ichimusai
MSN: Ichimusai1972 AOL: Ichimusai1972 IRC: Ichimusai@IRCNet