Re: Do Pine and Gnus play well together?

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: Do Pine and Gnus play well together?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:39:50 -0000

jesse@phiwumbda.org (Jesse F. Hughes) writes:

> Now, here are the problems:
>
> (1) She uses imap and isn't likely to change.  As I understand it,
> that still allows for nnir, but it's much slower than using eswish
> locally, like I do.
>
> (2) She is not sure she wants to permanently give up Pine.  She might
> want to use Pine when she's stuck on a Windows machine and has to ssh.
> She has this odd aversion to text-only xemacs -- a sad dependence on
> menus, I'm told.  Also, she might just not like Gnus (perish the
> thought) and might want to switch back.

I've had pretty good experience using other IMAP-based clients with
Gnus.  On one account, I use nnml, but I can read the incoming spool
with pine or mutt before I have Gnus sort it; on another, I use
straight-up nnimap.  The one thing I need to change is the IMAP
predicate (either nnimap-split-predicate or the :predicate in my IMAP
mail-source) so that Gnus will still sort read mail out of the IMAP
INBOX, but if you don't use Gnus splitting that's less of a concern.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
        -- Abra Mitchell