Re: gnus doesn't see all new messages

From: Marcus Frings
Subject: Re: gnus doesn't see all new messages
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 21:53:52 +0200

* Jeroen Dijkmans <jeroen.dijkmans@alcatel.be> wrote:
> Jeroen Dijkmans <jeroen.dijkmans@alcatel.be> writes:

>> I'm experiencing the following problem since last week in gnus (version
>> 5.10.6, xemacs 21.4 (patch 13) on Windows):
   ^^^^^^

>> Not all new messages in my Inbox on the IMAP server appear in the
>> corresponding "gnus_IMAP_inbox".  I noticed this by starting the Mozilla
>> mail-client and connecting to the IMAP server: a number of messages
>> appear there which I don't see in Gnus.

>> Deleting these messages via Mozilla (ie. moving them to IMAP Trash),
>> make them appear in my GNUS trash.

> I normally fetch my new mails by pressing g in the Group buffer.  When
> doing that, I have the behaviour I described in my previous posts.
> However, if I'm in the summary buffer of my IMAP Inbox, and press M-g
> overthere, the new messages *do* appear!

I presume that your primary select method is nntp and your secondary
select method is nnimap:

Probably you are facing the same problem I had some time ago and which
caused a huge thread on the Gnus mailing list to find out the reason for
this "bug".

You could try 2 things:

1) Downgrade to 5.10.3 and check if it still happens when you update the
   group buffer by pressing "g" (rationale: the important changes which
   cause this behaviour were introduced in the release of 5.10.4)

2) If (1) fixes the problem you can upgrade again to the current
   version. Now check what type your nnimap groups are. If they are
   "foreign", unsubscribe and kill them. Then hit "A A" and start
   subscribing them again. They should now be "secondary" and everything
   should be fine again.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Mein flammendes Schwert und meine Hand sollen Euch richten. Ich werde Rache
nehmen an meinen Feinden und Vergeltung üben an jenen, die mich hassen.