Re: How to merge two gnus mail folders

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: How to merge two gnus mail folders
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 08:14:10 -0500

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Tue, May 04 2004, Lars Tobias Borsting wrote:
>
>> I am trying to merge to gnus mail folders. One is at home and the other
>> is at school, and I want to move my home gnus mail to my school gnus.
>>
>> I have, say $HOME/Mail/mail/misc/ at both school and home, how can I
>> merge these together? I can't just copy the one to the other and just
>> give new file names, because gnus keeps some kind of Summary Buffer
>> cache somewhere I don't know, so the new merged mail won't show up in
>> the summary.

Here is one way.  It requires a number of steps but none of them is
very difficult.

1) At school (I'm guessing it might be easier to do remote contact
   thru emacs to home from school rather than the other way round).
   Create a new nnml group (Type `G m' in group buffer to get started)
   I say nnml because it is the type with the most usefull options.

2) Now using emacs remote tools (Tramp or ange-ftp) create a new
   `nneething' group.  (Type `G m' and give nneething as type or for a
   transient group just type `G D').

   Give the address for this group like this (There may be errors in
   my command lines here since I can't test ange-ftp [I don't allow
   ftp in and my remote account doesn't either]:

     Ange-ftp:
     /ftp:$LOGNAME@home.ip.address:/home/$LOGNAME/Mail/misc

   Or using tramp(if ssh is your default method):
     Tramp:
     /$LOGNAME@home.ip.address:/home/$LOGNAME/Mail/misc

   Now you should have access to the files under
   /home/$LOGNAME/Mail/misc

3)  Enter that group and copy them all to the newly created group in
    step 1 (`M P b <RET> B c NEWGROUP <RET>')

4) Enter your local machine Mail/misc group and do the same
   thing. (copy all to new group)

You should now have one merged group.  Of course you could copy all
to `misc' group if you want the merged files there.

If you have remote access to school account from home, just change
the connection names above and do it from home.