nnmaildir configuration confusion

From: Mike Irwin
Subject: nnmaildir configuration confusion
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 01:31:40 -0400

I've RTFM and googled for hours, but I'm still confused on the proper way to
set up nnmaildir.  My setup is very basic ATM, as I'm still in the process of
sorting out the best way of handling my mail.  As of right now, I've got
fetchmail getting my mail from a remote POP3 server, which hands it off to
qmail, which delivers the mail to ~/.maildir.  New mail is showing up in
~/.maildir/new.

Here's the relevant part of what I've got in ~/.gnus:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnmaildir ""
                   (directory "~/.nnmaildir"))))

(eval-after-load "mail-source"
  '(setq mail-sources '((maildir :path "~/.maildir"))))

The problem I'm having is when I start Gnus and type 'F' to find the new
nnmaildir groups, nothing shows up.  If I enter the Server buffer, I see that
the nnmaildir has 'denied' next to it.  If I try to browse the server, I get
an error which states something like "~/.nnmaildir does not exist".  If I
create this directory and restart Gnus, I can browse the server, but there's
no groups to subscribe to.  What am I missing here?

By the way, I'm not using any sort of splitting ATM, but will be at some point
when I get these basic configuration issues worked out.
--
Mike