info-gnu-chess

[Fwd: Re: copyright of gnuchess book]

From: Simon Waters
Subject: [Fwd: Re: copyright of gnuchess book]
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:05:17 +0100

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: copyright of gnuchess book
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:03:41 +0100
From: Simon Waters <simon@technocool.net>
To: alex@ignacioalex.com

Alex Ignácio da Silva wrote:

> What's the exact copyright info of GNU Chess openings book
> (book_1.01.pgn.gz)? I found a note in the Debian package distribution
> stating that this package is in the public domain, is this correct?

The record of a chess game being a recording of a public event which
requires no creative input is widely regarded as being in the public domain.

Annotations and comments are copyrightable, and I have removed a large
number by Bloodgood from the PGN file used to created the GNU Chess book.

> I would be grateful if someone could post the detailed copyright info of
> this package, so that I could give credits to its creators when
> redistributing this package.

My understanding is that Stuart Cracraft did much of the original
compilation. I have done some maintenance (removal of duplicates,
removal of annotations, rationalization of spelling of players names etc).

But I believe the copyright file in the package to be correct.

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/g/gnuchess-book/gnuchess-book_1.01-2/gnuchess-book.copyright