info-gnu-chess

Interested in programming a GTK frontend to gnuchess

From: Sean Hammond
Subject: Interested in programming a GTK frontend to gnuchess
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:01:12 +0000

Hello,

I haven't been able to find a particularly modern-looking GNOME frontend for
gnuchess, and am interested in programming one with GTK+. Specifically I
would like to use PyGTK. Where can I find information about the interface
gnuchess 5 offers for frontends? Is it simply a case of looking through the
gnuchess source, and if so, can someone point to a good starting point?

I noticed gnuchess itself has a text interface, I suppose I could probably
just write a program that communicates with gnuchess through that, but I
would have to know what the commands are.

I have found the documentation in /usr/share/doc/gnuchess/MANUAL.gz but it
doesn't go into any detail about the interface it provides for xboard.