info-gne

[Info-gne] thoroughbred gritty

From: Emily Levine
Subject: [Info-gne] thoroughbred gritty
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:10:24 -0400

I thought we were on the verge of a smash, said Kitty. Dont wait to be introduced, said Delia, waving her hand.
No, you wouldnt, said Delia, but other people do.
But he meant it; he doesnt say what he doesnt mean,North thought, and that was alarming too.
And its just the same with the Irish, he went on.
Very crowded, he said, looking round the room. He had away of putting his hand to his head that North remembered.
Shewas one of those well-set-up rather masculine old ladies whorepelled him slightly.
I thought we were on the verge of a smash, said Kitty.
But I wish you had let Nicholas finish his speech, said Eleanor. He remembered his master saying, Mark thelong word at the end of the sentence. You go first, Patrick, they heard Lady Lasswade boom out in hergenial loud voice. Still, she saidaloud, Rose had the courage of her convictions.
Carnations, roses, daisies, were flung down higgledy-piggledy. She had been making that distinction betweenpeople all her life.
It was her aunt Milly, with her husband byher side. Carnations, roses, daisies, were flung down higgledy-piggledy.
Chipperfield had vanished throughthe door. North says we talk of nothing but money and politics, she added.
The only place where oratory is now practised as an art .
He had the air of being stamped, North thought;he had kept something, after all, out of the hubbub.
Not that Iever had much to brush, he added, foolishly, afraid of theschoolmaster.
Come to Ireland and see for yourself, mlady, he said grimly. Each was already part of alittle group, he felt as he listened, keeping on the outskirts. But thats asking too much of you, Edward? But there were only two office stoolsempty beside Eleanor over there in the corner. He said he owed more to you than to any man, he said aloud. The words had stung him out of all proportion to theirsurface meaning.
But as he fixed his eyes upon him, Edward smiled at hissister. Then she sat down beside Kitty, whowas gulping her soup like a child at a school treat.
Down through the ceiling, muted and far away, came the preliminarynotes of another dance.
Thats Chipperfield, the great railway man, he explained toNorth.