[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
NEWBIE -- needs help in moving directories from one repository to anoth
NEWBIE -- needs help in moving directories from one repository to another
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:35:01 -0400
Hello info-cvs members,
I'm a cvs newbie and I need some help. I am filling in for our only cvs
expert who is out of commission for a while. I hope he gets well soon
and God's speed on his recovery.
I'm trying to get up to speed on cvs. I've roamed all around cvshome.org
trying to assimilate as much as I could.
I have been tasked to move the contents of a root directory from one
host machine to another. From host_1, I need to move all subdirs but
sub_1 and sub_2. Both hosts are Unix machines. We use ssh.
Repos A (/home/cvs ) Repos B (/data/cvs )
| | | | |
sub_1 sub_2 sub_3 .... sub_9 sub_3 .... sub_9
To accomplish this task, I believe I need to do the following:
1. Create a rootdir_F (and its subdirs) under my home directory
2. Then use the import command to create the cvs root for rootdir_F
-- I need to log-in as the cvs admin
-- cd into the rootdir_F I created
-- cvs import rootdir_F some_tag some_tag
3. rootdir_F is now a virgin root of host_2's CVS repository
4. ftp the contents of host_1:/home/cvs/rootdir_C/sub_3,...,sub_9
5. Blow away the rootdir_F I created under my home directory
6. Set my CVSROOT environment variable to /data/cvs
7. Under my home directory, do
cvs checkout rootdir_F
It seems simple enough - a little too simple. I've got to be
But what about the admin files and the revision history?
host_1 is a third-party vendor. Their code (which is c.o.t.s to us)
is in sub_1 & sub_2. The other subdirs hold our code which we now
want to house on our own machine. I'll have to check but I
don't know what permissions host_1:/home/cvs/CVSROOT has.
I know our team will have to re-wire the Makefiles and other
In regards to a smooth cvs transition, am I missing anything?
Are there cvs-specific questions I should be asking?
Does someone have a checklist that they used on a similar task?
Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. In
the meantime I'll go back to cvshome.org and do some more
Dyncorp IS LLC
- NEWBIE -- needs help in moving directories from one repository to another,
Luna, Glen <=