iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] RE: Command response framing and TCP/IP

From: M. Nentwig
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] RE: Command response framing and TCP/IP
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:56:30 +0200

Hei,

> My vote is to keep things as simple as possible.  I feel that
> transaction
> numbering only make sense if we expect the command interpreter to be
> multi-threaded (i.e., being capable of processing multiple,
> simulataneous
> outstanding requests).  I've always assumed that the command
> interpreter will
> operate like a FIFO.  Also, prepending a transaction number
> makes it harder on
> the client to parse the responses.   Over TCP/IP I think the
> command processor
> should not echo the commands, just the responses, and provide
> a simple one line
> delimiter for marking the boundaries between command
> configurable via a "set" command, of course).

anything that works is fine, at least with me.
One idea that came to my mind is to have a dedicated socket for
real-time messages ('noteon x y z' when a MIDI key is hit).
My own GUI is perl based, and perl is very good at string parsing. But
for the C folks, it may be of advantage, when replies to a command via
TCP/IP go to a separate socket. But as I said, anything that works...

Cheers

Markus