Re: [igraph] R igraph 1.0 and return.vs.es

From: Dr Gregory Jefferis
Subject: Re: [igraph] R igraph 1.0 and return.vs.es
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 22:56:19 +0100

On 26 Jun 2015, at 22:24, Gábor Csárdi wrote:

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:05 PM, Dr Gregory Jefferis
<address@hidden> wrote:

[snip]

changed by the igraph_option return.vs.es=F (which incidentally does not
seem to be documented)

Undocumented, because it is dangerous. If you change it, it'll apply
globally. I think if you change it now, you are probably safe, though,
because most functions expect numbers instead of vertices.

OK, then I'll avoid.

Here is a (stupid) toy example:
[...]
user  system elapsed
0.713   0.007   0.719
[...]
0.001   0.000   0.001
[...]

But this means changing quite a bit of code and there are places where
similar issues cannot be so easily side-stepped.

Two questions:

1. Is this slow down expected?

Wow, I expected it to be slower, but not this much. I should have measured.

In most of my real life cases the impact is either more modest (2-3x) or can be worked around as above.

2. As a package developer, is there any way to ensure I have the behaviour of igraph_options(return.vs.es=F) when I import the igraph package (while still giving other users the chance to set igraph_options(return.vs.es=T)
if that is what they want) ?

Unfortunately not, AFAIK. These options are global.

OK

As a comment, my feeling is that this behaviour should probably be
controlled both at a per function as well as a package option level.

Yes, function specific arguments are good.

You can set the option as a workaround now, I think. I'll speed this
up in 1-2 weeks, and then everything should be fine again.

Thanks a lot for looking into this already. I think speeding up simple cases

https://github.com/igraph/rigraph/commit/66e2c75b16f4d7f1402581645b98ad1f9b0fcc38

will probably solve a number of issues already.

Best,

Greg.

--
Gregory Jefferis, PhD