[igraph] Maps and Networks

From: Lorenzo Isella
Subject: [igraph] Maps and Networks
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 16:01:44 +0200

Dear All,
A question on the visualization side of network; from time to time we all happen to see geographical maps (e.g. air transportation) with a network overlaid upon them (e.g. links between London, Paris, Berlin and Rome, just to consider Europe only). I tend to use igraph under R and ggplot2 for statistical visualization, but how can one generate some good looking visualizations mainly by scripting only? As of now, I would not know even where I can fetch the maps (let's say Europe) for the task, let alone overlay a network upon them.
Does anyone have experience with this kind of visualizations?
A self-contained example even with fake data would help me a lot.
Best Regards

Lorenzo