[igraph] Question about assortativity

From: Marcel Salathé
Subject: [igraph] Question about assortativity
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:36:26 -0400

Hi

I've got a question about assortativity based on continuous values assigned to
vertices (i.e. the assortativity function).

I'm curious how vertices are assumed to be of the same value if values are
continuous. I couldn't find anything in the documentation. Looking up Newman's
paper (Mixing patterns in networks, p.5) I found the following "By analogy with
the developments of Section II, we can define a quantity exy, which is the
fraction of all edges in the network that join together vertices with values x
and y for the age or other scalar variable of interest. The values x and y
might be either discrete in nature (e.g., integers, such as age to the nearest
year) or continuous (exact age), making exy either a matrix or a function of
two continuous variables. Here, for simplicity, we concentrate on the discrete
case, but generalization to the continuous case is straightforward."

What function is igraph using to determine if two continuous values are of the
same "type"?

Thanks for clarification
Marcel