Re: [igraph] Re: shared library error

From: sergiu netotea
Subject: Re: [igraph] Re: shared library error
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:20:50 +0100

The program crashes in the first few lines:
#include <igraph.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
int main()
{
    long int ng1 = NG1, ng2 = NG2;
    unsigned char *seq;
        //typedef unsigned char byte;
        printf("%d",sizeof(unsigned char));
}

It never reaches that printf output
the debug message is:
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/netotea/calgn/grna
warning: no loadable sections found in added symbol-file
system-supplied DSO at 0x2aaaaaaab000

0x00000039a2468f31 in getc () from /lib64/libc.so.6

I repeat, on cygwin it all runs fine. I reckon it has to do with the
unsigned char, since it dumps at getc(). In my program I have a huge
table of zeros and ones, NG1xNG2 = 13000x22000, which I store as
unsigned chars to occupy less space.
Any ideas? Of course, this is not igraph related anymore..
S.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:50 AM, Tamas Nepusz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear Sergiu,
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is definitely a good step towards the solution; it seems
> like your system does not look for shared libraries in /usr/local/lib by
> default, and that's where you put the igraph libs. You can force your
> system to look for libs there either by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH (I'd do
> it in the shell profile if I were you so that it is enforced every time
> you log in), or by adding /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf.
>
> As for the segmentation fault, we need more information to sort that
> out; at least we have to know which function the program crashes in.
> First, try to compile your program using the -g switch to add the debug
> symbols to the executable, then run it under gdb (the GNU debugger) and
> list the backtrace (using the "bt" command) when it crashes. The
> backtrace is invaluable to determine whether the crash happens somewhere
> in igraph or not. (And if it does, we would also need the source code of
> your program, or even better, a self-contained example that reproduces
> the crash).
>
> --
> Tamas
>
>> Some further news,
>> I checked the content of $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and it was empty, so I added my
>> path:
>> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>>
>> Now my program ran but with a segmentation fault. However I got no seg
>> faults on cygwin :((
>> Not sure that I solved the shared library problem though, make it
>> chooses the wrong file, I saw three:
>> libigraph.so libigraph.so.0  libigraph.so.0.0.0
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM, sergiu netotea
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a server running Red Hat Enterprize edition, I installed the
>>> igraph library from source code following the normal ./configure,
>>> make, make install steps. I have a program that runs well on my local
>>> cygwin, compiled with:
>>> gcc grn.c -Wall -I/usr/local/include/igraph -L/usr/local/lib -ligraph -o
>>> grna
>>>
>>> It does compile on the server without any message but when I run it, it
>>> gives:
>>> ./grna: error while loading shared libraries: libigraph.so.0: cannot
>>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>>
>>> However the libs are there, beside the fact that in the compilation
>>> step it managed to find them:
>>> ls /usr/local/lib
>>> libgsl.a  libgslcblas.a  libgslcblas.la  libgslcblas.so
>>> libgslcblas.so.0  libgslcblas.so.0.0.0  libgsl.la  libgsl.so