Re: [igraph] miscellaneous from a newbie, docs and interfacing

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] miscellaneous from a newbie, docs and interfacing
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 10:58:45 +0100

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Marco Maggi <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Gábor Csárdi <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Ok I did this, and added it to the 0.6-main branch.
>> [...]
>> I added  this the  0.6-main branch. The  info file  has no
>> links in the tutorial section now.
>> [...]
>> This will take more time, you can follow it here:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/igraph/+bug/505109
>
> Thanks!   Actually  I am  thinking  about  adding a  revised
> IGraph doc  file to my Texinfo advocacy  project[1]; it will
> take  some   time  of   course...

I understand the benefit of this for projects that have no info (or
html, or pdf) documentation, but we have all these. It is true that
the quality of our documentation could be improved, but probably the
best way to go then, is to improve it and store within the igaph
project itself.

Right now our toolchain looks like this:

C source files with comments, XML files with additional docs, XML
files with the structure of the manual ---- [doxrox] ----> DocBook
documentation

DocBook ---- [db2x_xsltproc] --- [db2x_texixml] --- [makeinfo] ---> Info
DocBook ---- [docbook2pdf] ---> PDF
DocBook ---- [xmlto] ---> HTML

Where doxrox is a small (and slow) Python script we wrote to extract
the docs from the source files. So if you want to improve the info
documentation, then for us the best would be if you could do it in
this framework.

> Anyway,  I   will  start
> interfacing IGraph to R6RS Scheme in the upcoming weeks.

Sounds great to me! Please tell us about your progress.
Thanks, Best Regards,
Gabor