Re: [igraph] Structural equivalence / converting weighted graphs for SN

From: Magnus Torfason
Subject: Re: [igraph] Structural equivalence / converting weighted graphs for SNA and back
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:51:10 -0400

Hi Gábor,

thanks so much for your reply, a few comments inline.

On 4/10/2009 4:14 AM, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
Hi Magnus,

my answers are below.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 10:04 PM, Magnus Torfason <address@hidden> wrote:
  Question 1: Is there a way to calculate structural equivalence
              correlations in igraph?

It depends how you define it. Probably take a look at
?similarity.jaccard and there is one or two more on the manual page.

Thanks, it seems that jaccard does not work with weighted graphs, which is key for me in this application. But I can see how that would be much more applicable than what I am currently using in some other of my work.

 Question 2: Am I guaranteed to get the edges in the same order when
             I list them using get.edgelist() as when I list them
             using E()

Yes, you are.

Great!

ps. Question 3: If I am going about this in a silly and inefficient
               manner, and if there are better ways to achieve the
               same goal, I would of course be grateful for pointers
               to that effect.

Yes, it might be possible to this in a faster way (with probably a lot
more coding), if the graph is sparse.

My graph is dense (almost fully connected actually), so this is what I'll use now, but I can see how there would be better ways for sparse graphs.

Thanks again!

Magnus