Re: [igraph] key players in networks

From: Gabor Csardi
Subject: Re: [igraph] key players in networks
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:26:16 +0200

Ok, I read the paper, the measures are not very difficult,
although optimizing them is a different question.
Here is how to calculate DF and DR:

df <- function(g) {
  n <- vcount(g)
  spmat <- shortest.paths(g)
  spmat[spmat==n] <- Inf
  dists <- spmat[upper.tri(spmat)]
  1-2*sum(1/dists)/n/(n-1)
}

dr <- function(g, k) {
  n <- vcount(g)
  spmat <- shortest.paths(g, k)
  dkj <- apply(spmat, 2, min)
  dkj <- dkj[ dkj != 0 ]
  dkj[dkj==n] <- Inf
  sum(1/dkj)/n
}

df works well for the two toy graphs:

g1 <- graph.full(5) %du% graph.full(5)
g2 <- graph.ring(5, circ=FALSE) %du% graph.ring(5, circ=FALSE)

I couldn't try them for the two real networks in the paper, because
i couldn't find the data, for the second one even the cited reference
is missing from the bibliography.

Now you can try to make up some optimization function using
'delete.vertices' from igraph and the 'df' and 'dr' functions
defined as above. If k is small (2-4) then you can brute force
all cases, for larger k and larger networks a more sophisticated
algorithm might be needed. Unfortunately i don't know any R
functions doing 'subgraph optimization' like this.

Best,
Gabor