ibija-devel

Re: [Ibija-devel] ninja memory allocator

From: Dodji Seketeli
Subject: Re: [Ibija-devel] ninja memory allocator
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:53:31 -0400

aeric wrote:
> I sent a mail with my devs to you master so take your time
> I looking at the chap 5 of spec

Eric,

I've started to look at the source code.
Well, i don't have the time to dig into the algorithms
right now.
but i have some comment to do about your coding style.
Don't take it bad. I just want the ibija project to be
a first class project.

1) please respect the coding conventions of the project:
example: be generous with white spaces when writing code.

GOOD:

enum IbjStatus
ibj_good_practise (void)
{
  gboolean the_good = TRUE ;

  if (the_good == TRUE) {
    g_print ("OKAY\n") ;
  } else {
    g_print ("To be continued") ;
  }

}

BAD:

enum IbjStatus
ibj_ublgy_style(void)
{
  gboolean the_bad=TRUE;

  if(the_bad==FALSE){
    g_print("I hate puting spaces\;") ;
  }else{
    g_print("And I don't care ...") ;
  }
}

2) Please, access the private part of your object
using a PRIVATE() macro. Which looks like:

#define PRIVATE(object) ((object)->priv)

Avoid accessing the private part of your object by doing:
my_object->priv .

It is very important too allow room for future improvement in
the layout of the private parts of the object.

3) Document _all_ the methods that are exported.
At least, do your best.
The Comments must respect the doxygen style because in a
near future, we will make a website for the project and
we will generate an online documentation of the apis.
Remember, one of the goal of this project is the re-usability
of the code. It therefore must be documented... IN ENGLISH !!!!
No comment in french please.

I've started to write a coding-style document. Its
in the ibija root dir. (Its name is CODING-STYLE).
This document is not complete, i apologize for that.
But you still have the code i wrote to look at.
It is a good illustration of how i would want the code to
be presented.

Could you please make sure your code matches the ibija
coding style and re-send me the files ?

Once you've sent me a somewhat correct file (as far as the style is concerned) you will be able to send me patches for further improvements.

Make sure you also read the "Software release practise howto" at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-Release-Practice-HOWTO/index.html
and learn the good practises of writing code _together_ in the Free Software community. This document is very important for you to read.

And, most of all, don't stay alone in your hole.

This is a community based development.
The quicker you ask questions the better... and you
won't end up re-inventing the wheel.

Thank you.

--
Dodji

To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master,
walk with the master, see through the master, become the master.