hyperbole-users

Re: [Hyperbole-users] [OT] How many readers/users ?

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: [Hyperbole-users] [OT] How many readers/users ?
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 15:41:15 -0500

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 11:18 PM Xavier Maillard <address@hidden> wrote:
Bonjour,

Code is well documented, yes. May I say that I'd rather read through
the source code than the documentation ? :)

Yes, the reference manual is quite dry.  I think the DEMO and the Koutliner Example flow reasonably well.

I read the manual and the DEMO, I played with a few things. As it goes, I feel like having some kind of a mix between eev, howm, org-mode.

I had never heard of eev or howm, so thanks for the pointers.  'howm' has some interesting ideas that could be good for Hyperbole.  I think Hyperbole largely subsumes anything eev could do and it is out-of-date now, I believe.  Hyperbole and org-mode can work nicely together.

Just a stupid question about the implicit buttons: as they are implicit, by nature, people can't identify them easily (except when they are obvious -i.e e-mail address, etc.). So, how would you know this mail could contain implicit buttons ? :)

Right, because implicit buttons can even nest and are resolved by priority based on the order in which they are loaded (first match wins).  For certain types, you could write a scanner such that when a buffer is read in, it highlights desired implicit buttons.  But typically, the issue is not finding all implicit buttons but whether one is within your current working context (where point is in a buffer, typically).  In such cases, {C-h A} and {C-u C-h A} show you what the Action and Assist Keys each do in that context, i.e. exactly which implicit button will fire and what it will do.  That is explained in the DEMO file as well.

My *lisp is a little bit rusty now but I still can read it and understand it (even write simple things).

Good.

Finally, the only thing missing are examples from the HY-WHY file (a small video illustrating these would be awesome).

I agree; someone else would have to do it though.  We had a great graphic designer and video maker working with us but he got busy as well.  When time allows, we'll get something going again.

Bob