hurd-devel

Re: malloc and portable pthreads

From: Roland McGrath
Subject: Re: malloc and portable pthreads
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 02:05:17 -0500 (EST)

> pthread code needs malloc in one or two places.  Some of those are entirely
> generic (pthreads/), some in sysdeps/generic.
>
> The Hurd provides its own malloc which is thread safe.

That's not quite true.  You are talking about hurdmalloc.h, right?  The
point of that is not so much that it's thread safe (the main libc malloc
has been thread-safe too for a long time now) but that its heap and locking
are separate from the main libc malloc.  With the new libc malloc in 2.3 we
can replace the crappy hurdmalloc with use of a special arena.

> Is this the best place for such questions?  It reaches Roland, Thomas and
> Mark, which is good enough for me :)  but maybe some glibc list would be
> better.  libc-alpha?  Had quite a lot of noise lately ;)

For Hurd-specific questions, best to hash them out here before talking them
to the libc lists.  But it doesn't hurt to ask on libc-alpha if I haven't
answered quickly.