help-zile

[zile-devel] The post-2.0 future: Unicode

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: [zile-devel] The post-2.0 future: Unicode
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:23:32 +0200 (CEST)

Although it's still early days for zile 2.0, I thought you might be interested to know my plans post-2.0. For me, the most important missing feature at the moment is Unicode support. This is tricky to add while retaining the goal that zile be a really minimal program, and in particular, while remaining fully Emacs-compatible, because of course we can't duplicate Emacs's complicated machinery for dealing with different character encodings.

I am open to suggestions on this; here's a sketch of my initial, rather vague idea.

First, I intend to support only "raw" and "wide-character" editing, and nothing else. This won't help users of other encodings (in particular those who use entrenched non 8-bit encodings such as ISO 2022), but is the simplest solution that will help the most people.

Secondly, the support will be based as far as possible on the standard C library, meaning that on platforms without wide character support, zile won't have it either. This avoids ad-hoc code, and also avoids bloating zile.

Thirdly, there should be auto-detection of file type, plus a manual override. Zile should as far as possible Do The Right Thing, but obviously not in all circumstances.

The main code that will have to be written, therefore, will be UTF-8 detection, encoding and decoding; other than that, we can rely on the C library and terminal drivers.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/ | sad, a.  the efforts of musical debutantes (Bierce)