Re: [help-texinfo] Umlaut strangeness

From: Andreas Falkenhahn
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Umlaut strangeness
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 17:04:58 +0200

Hmm, this is really weird. When using

    @documentencoding ISO-8859-1
    @chapter 0xdc

the character is rendered correctly on the PDF page but not in the bookmarks!
If I leave out the

    @documentencoding ISO-8859-1

then the character is rendered correctly in the bookmarks but not on the
page! This is pretty confusing.

Note that the 0xdc above is only a placeholder for the real character. Of
course I'm not passing 0xdc to @chapter but the 8-bit value directly. I'm just
using 0xdc here so that you know what I mean because email programs might
mess things up and make it look like I'm passing UTF-8 or other Unicode
stuff to @chapter which I'm not doing.

I'm not sure whether you're saying that what I want to achieve is actually
impossible or whether it is possible.... from what you've said I'd infer that
it should be possible to use umlauts in the bookmarks *and* on the pages
if I just use ISO-8859-1 because the bookmarks use Latin 1. But it doesn't
work, cf. see above.

So is it possible to use umlauts on pages *and* in the bookmarks or can I
have umlauts only on one side - pages *or* bookmarks but not both?

Thanks!

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:address@hidden