Re: [help-texinfo] IXIN 1.8 available

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] IXIN 1.8 available
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 10:34:21 +0100

() Patrice Dumas <address@hidden>
() Sun, 24 Feb 2013 19:20:47 +0100

   On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 04:16:02PM +0100, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

   > - mkixin records blob lengths individually, not cumulatively
   >
   >   Before, for two blobs of lengths A and B, BLOBS-INDEX would
   >   record lengths A and A+B.

   Regarding blobs indexing, I think that it would be better if
   there was a separate length and position. That way it could
   be possible to intersped blobs with text, for example text
   that describes the blob and would be used as a comment.  For
   example

   truc.png
   jsfdjkfsdkjfsdkjfsdjkfdsjfsd

   machin.jpg
   mqdsmlsdqljsqlmdjqmljdsmjlqsdmljsdmldsqlmqjdsdqslm

   So the index would be 2 informations, the length of the blob
   and an information that allows to find the blob, either the
   absolute position in the blobs, or the total length
   (blob+following text between blobs).

Interspersing blobs with text seems like a step backward to me.
The current (lazy) design is nicer to low-resource renderers.

Re redundancy (position info), that suggests that there should
be some kind of integrity-checking tool.  Hmmm.

FYI, IXIN source is now in a public repo, and there is also a
dedicated mailing list (reachable from the project page):

 http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/ixin.git?h=p
 http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/ixin

I don't mind continuing its discussion here, of course.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502