Re: [help-texinfo] Re: Gentoo Linux some `Info' manuals missing index

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Re: Gentoo Linux some `Info' manuals missing index
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:54:12 -0600

    The fact that index search works for you in freshly generated files
    probably means that the original ones are botched,

They worked perfectly well for me in emacs-23.1.1.  I didn't see
anything obviously wrong with them at a quick glance.  They don't have
the magic marker in the index, that's the only meaningful difference I
saw from freshly-generated ones.

Harry, if you can, please try emacs-23.1.  Not emacs-23.1.50.
That will eliminate the prime variable of the Emacs version.

Also, please start Emacs by running emacs-23.1 --no-site --no-init.
That will eliminate any chance of site or personal code getting in the
way.  There's no need to guess about these things.

As far as I can, this is and always has been about Emacs.  Not makeinfo,
not the Info files.  Please talk to the Emacs developers.

Best,
karl