Re: [help-texinfo] Adding info documents to /usr/share/info

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Adding info documents to /usr/share/info
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 00:53:00 -0500

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 07:49:16PM EDT, Karl Berry wrote:
>     downloading "manually" are .tar.gz files.
>
> I don't recall anything in the info readers that supports info files
> bundled in a .tar.gz (or anything else), unless it's a recent invention
> in Emacs info.  So I think you should unpack the tars.

Yes, simple as that. I didn't bother zipping back the individual files.

> Once unbundled, the .info files should be found whether they are
> compressed or not.

I was using an info derivate called "pinfo" and that added to the
confusion, because it does not know how to handle soft links.

Which means that the gcc and cpp manuals, which in my setup at least,
are reached via a soft link were greyed out in the index menu.

Works fine with native info.

> If this doesn't help, please show us one of the dir lines that is
> failing, and list the corresponding .info file(s) you have.  I am not
> sure from your descriptions exactly what you are doing.
>
>     I have looked for documentation that explains how to install additional
>     info files, but have found nothing conclusive.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/texinfo/Installing-an-Info-File.html

Well this did help, but in different way:

The info manuals for "bc" and "accounting" do not have "INFO-DIR"
sections, so I had to add them manually.

http://www.gnu.org/software/bc/manual/info/bc-info.tar.gz
http://www.gnu.org/software/acct/manual/info/accounting.info.tar.gz

One of them, bc (?), does not even have the GNU manifesto/license
either.

CJ